June 06, 2024

Do Carpenter Bees Throw Shade at Cicadas Because They Can't Fly for Shit?

Next to my driveway is a utility pole that has for years housed a carpenter bee condominium. Though we know one another, we've not yet learned to communicate. 

We're working on it.

And they fascinate me. I stand there staring at them. I do this a lot.

This afternoon I'm standing there staring as a cicada rambles into view. Compared to the bees, it's the insect aeronautical equivalent of a big dumb dog. It almost collides with one of the bees, saved only by the bee's maneuverability.

 I hear this conversation.

Joe: "WTF was that‽ Stan, you saw it? It just flew right through my flight path, if you call that flying. Jeez!"

Stan: "Cicadas, Joe, they're called cicadas. How do you not know this? ...been asleep for two weeks? Are you deaf?"

Joe: "Huh?"

Stan: "The Noise?"

Joe: "...damn near took my head off. Oh. That's them?"

Stan: "Yeah. They've been underground for like 17 years. They started coming out last week. ...billions of them. For 4 weeks all they do is drink, fuck, and lay eggs."

Joe: "No shit?"

Stan: "I shit you not. How do you not know this? It's been in the news for 6 months."

Joe: "That's kinda why I'm here. I stopped getting the paper.  ...went off the grid about a year ago. ...pot farm in the western suburbs. I'm tired a that shit."

Joe divebombs to the bottom of the pole, Stan follows suit.

Joe: "They're kinda cool, like prehistoric, or alien."

Stan,:  "Yeah. But you're right. They can't fly for shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment